When the weather warms up, Southerners want to get outside. No one wants to spend all day in the kitchen. We just want our food to taste like we did. This quick-fix meal makes use of pre-packaged food that combines mixed veggies with your favorite meat and your favorite brand of mac and cheese. Let someone else do the hard work.
- 1 – 7 1/4 ounce package macaroni and cheese mix
- 1 – 16-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked beef, chicken or pork
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- Cook macaroni in large saucepan as directed on package. After about 5 minutes, add the frozen vegetables and continue cooking until macaroni is tender and vegetables are cooked; drain
- Return macaroni and vegetables to the pan. Add the meat.
- Stir the cheese sauce mix, milk, and garlic or onion powder together. Stir into macaroni mixture. (Omit the butter/margarine recommended on the package to save calories and fat).
- Cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Serves 6 – Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
Nutritional Highlights (Per Serving):
- 360 Calories
- 5g Total Fat
- 2g Saturated Fat
- 0g Trans Fat
- 530mg Sodium
- 55mg Cholesterol
- 52g Carbohydrates
- 5g Fiber
- 27g Protein
This recipe is provided courtesy of the Arkansas Minority Health Commission and is featured in the “Southern Ain’t Fried Sunday’s” program. Follow the link to learn more about the program and for more tasty recipes.