If you can’t grill, baking is a great alternative for healthy food preparation. Using skinless chicken and taking the salt out of our tasty sauce, makes this barbequed chicken heart-healthy. The unique blend of spices adds just the right kick to this Southern favorite.
- 3 lb. chicken parts (breast, drumstick and thight), skin and fat removed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. hot pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- Place chicken in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Arrange onion over the top.
- Mix together vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, pepper, hot pepper flakes, chili powder and stock.
- Pour over the chicken and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done.
- Baste occasionally.
Serves 8 – Serving size: One chicken part with sauce
- 230 Calories
- 6g Fat
- 270mg Sodium
- 120mg Cholesterol
- 6g Carbohydrates
- 1g Fiber
- 37g Protein
This recipe is provided courtesy of the Arkansas Minority Health Commission and is featured in the “Southern Ain’t Fried Sunday’s” program. Follow the link to learn more about the program and for more tasty recipes.